OUR SCHOOL

Why WPS?

 

Our Vision & Mission

 
 

Vision: Windsor Primary School will provide a challenging 21st Century learning environment that:

• effectively prepares students to be successful and dynamic learners

• promotes qualities and skills for active and informed global citizenship

• develops confident, creative individuals, able to contribute positively to a constantly changing society.

The school strives to develop students to be courageous and determined in thinking and learning, to act ethically and purposefully in contributing to the world and to be resourceful, respectful, responsible and courageous in spirit and action.

Mission: Windsor Primary School is committed to the development of a knowledge community that challenges students to recognise their individual potential and ensures learning is a central activity for all.

Students are provided with diverse opportunities in a multi-cultural environment where life-long learning is fostered.

Our History

 
 

The school was the most eagerly awaited education facility in the area and was a forerunner in many things. It was opened as Prahran South on 1st September 1877, but was renamed Windsor in 1891. Between 1994 and 2001 the school amalgamated with Hawksburn and Prahran Primary Schools and was renamed Prahran Windsor Primary School. In 2001, it became known as Stonnington Primary School and in 2017 reverted back to its original name of Windsor Primary School.

The Hornby Street site was purchased for £1,300 and the original single storey building cost £4,220.7.11. For many years an old house on this site served as the accommodation for the Head Teachers from both Windsor and East St. Kilda.

During the first year, total enrolments were 716. Nine teachers were employed during this time - approximately one teacher to every seventy students.

In 1890 a second storey was built over the central wing of the original building, to enlarge the premises. Fast forward to 1912 and overcrowding was still a problem. Further re-modelling consisted of a two-storey wing added in 1915. At this time 501 pupils attended the school and with the development of flats in the area and an influx of migrants in the 1960’s, six new classrooms were added. In 1973, the peak enrolment was 787.

In many ways, Windsor Primary School led and paved the way in school development. At the turn of the century, the school sold meals prepared by the students to cover running costs. It was one of the first in the state to open a canteen. In 1967, thanks to a committed school council, the school led the way once more by opening a multi-purpose room, fully equipped with television, projector, seating and kitchen facilities.

In 1905, the most prominent of Head Teachers was Thomas Gray, who was born on the Ballarat goldfields. He refused promotions, staying at the school until 1919 and was responsible for many achievements including better ventilation, smaller class sizes, better conditions, establishment of flower and vegetable gardens, woodwork and occupational therapy groups for War Veterans. He taught geography and had the entire world map painted on the school grounds.

windsor_old_pic.jpg
Prep group 2 (note, one Stonnington logo on top).jpg